“I believe, that it is a question of health, perseverance and focus to bring your ideas to life”, says Volker Lobmayr, of Vienna Austria. The graphic and web designer by trade attended school in Madrid, Spain and has been in the industry for the past seven years. Lobmayr still draws with pencil and paper and has done so all his life. He began to use the media of white pencil on black paper but found the white to be muted and dull. The white he was searching for needed to be bright and to shine. The black needed to be dull and opaque. He concluded that the correct combination was a digital white on an analog black background. This is how the tabtag began.
The tabtag is an adhesive that is placed on the back of a MacBook over the illuminating Apple logo. This sticker is custom designed to allow light to pass though parts of the design while other parts remain opaque creating a vibrant and stark contrast. The tabtag is reusable. The special adhesive will not leave any residue on the surface where mounted and can be placed, removed and replaced over and over again. The tabtag can also be rinsed and dried and still mount to the lid of the MacBook (for those in fear of it getting dirty). Presently there are 19 first-edition tabtags to choose from including Budda, a sunny side up egg, on/off, a cat face, and a Kickstarter edition. The array of tabtags is not limited to only these 19, Lobmayr is offering customized tabtags with any design you choose or conjure up (providing you have rights to it).
I had a delightful conversation with Lobmayr the other day and really felt his passion for entrepreneurship. When asked to comment on being an entrepreneur he stated, "Many people prefer to trust in a company for regular income and the illusion of security. They are trading in their time and qualification to make someone else's ideas happen. I prefer to trust in myself because I want to assume the responsibility for my actions and learn every day.”
These aren’t just words. Lobmayr—by choice—has not had a 40-hour per week “job” in over four years. He purposefully has reduced his dependency on a job so that he can devote time to his passion, the tabtag. "What was crucial for me to make tabtag a reality, was the choice to live in a humble and quiet environment. This allowed me to earn enough for a living by employing 20% of my time, while focusing the remaining 80% on my project." This is great advice for any up-and-coming entrepreneur as the short term sacrifices could have long-term dividends.
Lobmayr did face some challenges however. When searching for outlets to promote and support his crowdfunding campaign he fell prey to the false solicitations of a misleading agency. Lobmayr lost a few hundred dollars on the deal with no apparent benefit to tabtag or effort from the agency. Needless to say, tabtag resiliently moved forward treating the misstep as a lesson learned rather than a roadblock. “Facing challenges in a playful way and not being afraid to fail are important ingredients to make an idea evolve into something real."
A solid POP for tabtag.
Tabtag Kickstarter Campaign Page